Pages

24 Oct 2012

Time for a Medical !



As part of applying for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) Benefits you have to jump through so many hoops to prove you're eligible (thank you to all the frauds for all this stress!)

After filling out a 55 page form about my illness, living conditions and work life, and then another 20 page form about what I can and can't physically do , it was time for the next step.... a physical face to face Medical assessment!

After tearing myself apart with stress I went to my appointment yesterday (23rd Oct) at Northampton Medical assessment centre. Once I got there they told me that they were short staff due to sickness so I may not get seen that day but I waited around and luckily after a 35 minute wait I was seen by a nurse.

I have heard so many bad things about these assessments, the intimidating questions, the insensitive nurse's and being treated with no respect. I don't know if I was just lucky or because I live in a smaller town the centre was run differently to how city centres are ran.

The Nurse I saw (can not remember her name), was  a middle ages woman, she listened to me and had an understanding of Fibromyalgia. She let me take my time to answer. She had my previous forms there for her to consult with. I was taken back by how positive the assessment. Luckily too I had my dad with me to prompt me of answers I forgot or things I missed out.  At the end of all the questions she told me that there was a physical assessment too, but she didn't want me to do it as she could see I was in pain and didn't want me to hurt myself.

Overall it was a more positive experience than I expected, though I am aware that not all assessments may go like that and also I am not getting my hopes up for getting into the working group of the Benefits system as I know how tough a system it is to score points and jump through the right hoops.

I would love to hear of anyone else's experience of these medicals?

Take care
Jayne xx

No comments:

Post a Comment