Pages

26 Nov 2012

NHBPM - Day 26 – Monday, Nov. 26 - Part 2

 - Bonus Prompt: Raise awareness for another condition!

I will be posting two of these today to Raise awareness for two different conditions that people I talk to suffer from.



Hello, my name is Josephine, I am 15 years old and I have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) is a disorder that affects both children and adults and causes recurring attacks of nausea/extreme vomiting that lasts hours to days and sometimes weeks. CVS episodes can occur several months, or weeks apart. Attacks can be caused by stress, intense excitement from events such as birthdays or holidays certain food triggers, menstruation and infections. The symptoms of a Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome attack are light sensitivity, abdominal pain, severe nausea and retching. The person will be pale and unresponsive, sometimes refusing to talk or swallow in fear of it precipitating vomiting. The sufferer may also have migraines, or headaches during an attack. The cause of CVS is unknown but there seems to be a connection between Mitochondrial DNA and a history of migraines in the family. CVS is difficult to diagnose because there is no test for it and the symptoms are similar to the flu and many other gastrointestinal disorders. It is diagnosed by ruling out other reasons for the severe nausea and vomiting typical to CVS episodes. CVS sometimes disappears during adolescence but is replaced by migraines. During a CVS attack the person might need to be hospitalized with intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration. Many find relief with resting in a dark quiet room. Medication trials sometimes succeed in finding something to prevent, shorten or abort episodes. It is important to work with a physician who does his/her best to understand CVS and is supportive. For more information on Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome you can visit the Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Assosciation at cvsaonline.org

I was diagnosed only 2 years ago but I have had CVS for my whole life. Many people with CVS are discriminated against because of lack of knowledge of medical professionals. They are seen as drug seekers or attention seekers. I have experienced this firsthand. I missed many days of school because of this. I had to quit sports because I was sick all the time. I lost some of my friends too because I never saw them at school and our relationships fell apart. My CVS has not transitioned into migraines but I have attacks less frequently and only require hospitalization at least once a year. If anything having this condition has made me appreciate every day I have that I am not sick. It also made me learn that in life when you have obstacles there is nothing you cannot overcome. I hope this post was informative.

You can Check out Josephine's awareness blog here

Thank you for reading
And Thank you Josephine for sharing your story
Take Care 
Jayne
xx


1 comment:

  1. I have a friend with CVS. It does not sound like fun. :( My friend has attacks less often than she used to, so that is wonderful, but when it hits, it hits hard. My heart goes out to Josephine. <3

    Sarah Mae
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmae

    ReplyDelete