It's that time of year again, the day's are short, the weather is dull and chilled, sometimes you can't help but to feel a bit low and wish for the sunshine again, but here are some tips to try and help you beat those winter blues.
Vitamin D level's also known as the Sunshine Vitamin, can drop in the winter months (especially if you live in places with limited sunlight). The darker day's can leave us feeling a bit glum but it also can have an affect on our Vitamin D levels so here are some way's to boost that Vitamin D and help you to feel more like you in these dark winter months!
Keep the Mind Active:
- Try to spend as much time as possible outside, take advantage of any sunshine that you can get, also breathing in some fresh air will be beneficial too!
- Get lot's of oily fish, eggs, milk and butter into your diet as they are packed with Vitamin D and will help boost your levels up.
- If you don't want to take standard Vitamin D supplements Cod liver oil is a fantastic source of vitamin D and will also help with those stiff joints.
- Check with your doctor to see what your vitamin D levels are like, taking in too much vitamin D can be toxic and bad for your health. Checking Vitamin D level's is just a simple blood test and it's always better to be clued up on your own body before jamming in lot's of supplements.
Winter is a good time of the year to learn a skill, find a new interest or hobby. Also finding a new interest will give you something to focus on, especially if you are out of work due to illness. Also sharing your new found hobby with other people either family and friends or on an on-line community. There is hundreds of websites with different crafts and DIY idea's to get your mind running and to give you something to look forward to work on each day.
Also doing mental exercises, there are lot's of games/crosswords/Sudoku puzzles that you can purchase in books or even games for the WII or the DS games console's to keep your mind active and to entertain you therefore making the day go quicker too.
Another way to fight away the winter blue's is to stay physically active.
- -online/you tube exercise video's
- -dvd exercise video's
- - Video games - Wii Fit/ Zumba/ Just dance
- - On brighter day's go for a walk - or go for a long winter walk wrapped up all cosy
Foods with too much sugar or caffeine can alter your moods, they may give you a quick rush of energy but throughout the day they will make you feel sluggish . Also high carbohydrates such as pasta and bread can often leave you feeling tired and sluggish too wish can add to that winter blues feeling.
Apples are a good food to snack on (along with all other fruit and veg) as apples contain as much caffeine as a cup of coffee! Oily fish such as salmon and tuna are great as they are high in omega oils and vitamin D which is an essential over the winter A
Some other small little tips:
- Stay social, having company helps to boost your mood no matter what time of the year. Make time to see people and have fun and remember Laughter is always the best medicine
- Speak to your doctor about light therapy, usually used to treat Seasonal Affected disorder it can help boost your brain activity and makes up for the lack of sunlight in the winter months.
- Try and make the most of the winter months, it's an excuse to burn candles, decorate the house pretty for Christmas, wrap up warm and drink your weight in tea and hot chocolate.
- Do the things you love, with the people you love, take care of your body and remember soon the sun will be out again and thing's can always get better.
Thank you for reading