Pages

19 Feb 2013

What is oil pulling and how has it helped me?

I'm sure somewhere on the internet in the last few months you've heard of this routine called oil pulling. I heard about in late December and in January I decided I was going to give it a go as I heard some great reviews of it, and I am a sucker for things to add to my beauty routine.

Before I tell you about my experience I will explain what Oil Pulling is and how it's supposed to work.


image sourced from Google.

What actually is oil pulling?

Oil pulling originates from Ayurvedic tradition, basically what you do is swill a tablespoon of oil round your mouth, I use Coconut oil but you can use olive oil but coconut just tastes a bit nicer. You swill and swish it in your mouth just like you would with mouth wash but you do this for 15-20 minutes. What happens whilst your swishing all this oil in your mouth is that the toxins within your body are pulled out creating mucous draining. Then after 15-20minutes you spit out the oil, DO NOT SWALLOW it or gargle the oil. Then you brush your teeth like normal.  You can do it once a day or increase affects you can do it in the morning and evening.

What effects can oil pulling have ?
  • Whiter teeth
  • decrease chances of getting cavities
  • boost metabolism - aidinf weight loss
  • help clear up acne
  • decrease bad breath
  • decrease headaches
  • Healthier gums
  • help ease eczema 
  • better sleep
  • Clearer Sinuses 
  • Increase energy
 
My oil pulling experience:

I have been doing oil pulling with Coconut oil twice a day for twenty minutes each time for nearly a month. At first it is the weirdest experience and it takes a while to get used to the texture. I tend to do it whist I have a bath or whilst I get ready in the morning. It takes a week or two to notice any difference, apart from your mouth feeling like its had a proper clean.
The things I have noticed are my teeth are at least a shade whiter than they were a month ago, obviously they are not blinding white but they are brighter, as are my gums. I have also noticed that my acne on my face has calmed down more, I had really bad acne on my chin a month a go and now I only get one or two small blemishes occasionally. I haven't really noticed much more other than I just feel more awake and ready when I do it in the morning. I am going to continue doing this twice a day and see what other benefits there are.

This is the current brand I am using  - not my photo-                  
Overall I would recommend people to try it just don't expect  miracle changes to your body, but take time with it and in the long run I'm sure it has great benefits to your body and your health

Have any of you tried oil pulling and what affects have you noticed ? I'd love to know :-)

Thank you for reading
Take care
Jayne
xx


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never heard of this before! What is this? How the hell does it do all of those good things? :O I think i might look into this a bit more!!! This has honestly blown my minddd!!! Haha - Lilie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha this was my response the first time I heard of it and I was very weary of all the things it claimed to do but I love doing it now and it has really helped me. Definitely worth looking in to :-) Jayne xx

      Delete