Pages

7 Apr 2013

HAWMC Day 7 – Sensationalize!


Say WHAT!? What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve heard about health or your condition? Where did you hear it and what did you think?

Today's prompt is a hard one for me because about a month or two after I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, any headline or article I saw that read 'Top five ways to cure Fibromyalgia' or 'take 'this' supplement or only eat these foods to cure Fibromyalgia' I just ignored and I didn't even bother reading because I knew they were a huge waste of time, but I thought I'd give it a go.

I know the most popular one you  hear which is 'Use exercise to cure your chronic pain' and you get endless articles, books and websites telling you about how this person's life was ruined and they succeeded at nothing with their chronic pain and then they 'discovered' exercise and all their problems were cured. And we all know that, that is a load of BS! We all know that what little exercise we are able to do is good for our health and body but with chronic pain we all know that although we may be able to exercise, it will cause us pain and we will need more time to recover, it is not going to magically cure everything.

All these headlines you hear are stupid, but the thing that makes me feel worse is that a lot of people who don't have chronic pain believe them and think that they 'know' that they work and as a result they are telling us to live like that and giving us absurd ways to 'cure' our pain.

I remember when I was first told that I might have Fibromyalgia I Googled it like anyone would, and I remember having to go through pages and pages of links to how people cured their selves before I began to found proper webpages that offered the real advice that the newly diagnosed should see on how to manage chronic pain rather than 'cure' it.

So in a way I guess those headlines made me want to start making this blog because I wanted to be able to make it easier for people suffering with chronic pain to find websites that were real life experiences rather than all these websites of 'cures.

Thank you for reading.
Jayne 
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment