Pages

22 May 2013

Fighting against cold/flu with chronic pain

So I woke up this morning with a blocked up nose, headache, and my throat feeling like it had been cut by a thousand knives, all on top of worsened Fibromyalgia aches and pains and fatigue. Every person with a chronic illness or pain knows that having a 'normal' person illness makes everything flare up and is a hundred times worse than anyone getting it.

I thought I would do a short post showing how I try and deal and fight against my body when I am faced against the flu or my just when my immune system failing me.


  • First off I make sure my Vitamin C intake is topped up to give my immune system that little boost.
  • This MSM with Glucosamine creme is amazing for aching muscles and joints. I have been struggling with aching in my upper arms whist I have this illness and it helps so much to ease the pain. I use this creme all the time with general Fibromyalgia pain so it's a good investment.
  • Olbas oil is a must for stuffy, blocked up noses, it always helps to clear my sinuses out and it's a bonus that I like the scent too (not that I can smell it at the moment!)
  • This throat spray is my go too for sore throats. My Fibromyalgia was caused by a extreme throat virus so I have tested and used most throat sweets and treatments and this spray has to be the most effective . It simply just numbs the throat and eases the pain. Makes eating a lot easier.
  • Lip balm is also a must because when I am ill no matter how much I drink my lips crack and split so having a lip balm on hand is a life saver.
  • And last is an antibacterial hand gel , it makes it so much easier when you are stuck in bed and blowing your nose and coughing all the time because there is no way I have the energy in me to get up to the bathroom to wash my hands. 

Next is two drinks that I am constantly drinking when I am ill in order to keep myself hydrated and help the recovery a little bit
  • Lemsip or the cheaper verson, I am lucky and I can take this along side my regular Fibromyalgia medication (it's best to check with your GP first). I have not found a cold/flu medication that works as well as these. I think you can take them every four hours and unliek most people I actually like the taste so it's not too bad.
  • Green tea is a regular drink when I've got a cold/flu, but when I am ill I have green tea strong with some honey to help soothe my throat too.
Also I recommend a lot of bed rest, drinking lots of fluids and just taking it easy, and going to your doctor if the illness lasts longer than 5 days in case it is a virus that needs medication.
If you have any tips leave them below as I am desperate to get rid of this cold/flu :-)

Take care, Jayne xx
Thank you for checking my blog out

Don't forget to check out my Facebook Support Page, Twitter and Tumblr too for daily updates.
Follow on Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment