Pages

28 Jun 2013

Chronic illness and work pt.1

I've had a few requests to write what it is like / how to work with a chronic pain or illness and I have always been a little weary about writing about work because I am worried I will word something wrong and it will affect my personal/working life. If that makes any sense, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Before I got seriously ill and diagnosed I worked in a day nursery with two year olds, I adored my job and believe that it is the most rewarding job I could find. October last year (after being off sick for months) I had to leave my job as there was no way I could travel across town and work the 9 hour days in such a physically demanding job with my Fibromyalgia. 

I was heartbroken to the point that I was mourning my old job, I missed it and the children I worked with so much. I was certain that was it I would never work in that profession again because of the restrictions of my body and illness.

I'll be honest now, I spent months ignoring everything and decided that it was impossible for me to ever work again because of my chronic illness. In February this year I had a bit of a personal reality slap and I think after a year in the house day in day out cabin fever made me realise that I should try and attempt to get some kind of work to keep myself occupied because I was going crazy in the same four walls.

I sent out my CV with a cover letter saying I was looking for bank staff or cover work to a few local nurseries, community centers, primary schools and anywhere else that was based in childcare.

From that I now technically have two job's. I work in a nursery covering shift's and I also work in a primary school as a Lunch time supervisor again covering shifts when people are off sick/on holiday etc. 

Getting back into work in my own opinion has given me my spark back and I feel more like a person again and not just a broken shell , it has really helped me mentally now as I feel like I kind of have a purpose again and things to look forward too.

I am going to write another post about actually working with a chronic illness/pain as I didn't realise how long this post would be, whoop's lot's of rambling ! 
  
Please below leave any topic's or questions about working with Fibromyalgia or about how I deal with work that you would like me to answer in the next post 

Take care, Jayne xx
Thank you for checking my blog out

Don't forget to check out my Facebook Support Page, Twitter and Tumblr too for daily updates.
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. It's so awesome you were able to get back into a field you love!!

    I'm trying to get back into working after about 4 years of not working and my biggest worry about finding somewhere is how to Tell whatever job that I'm sick. Do I tell them in the interview process? Or wait until I'm already hired? I've only ever worked retail, I was 21 when I last held a job, and I have no idea how to go about telling a potential job that this 25 yr old in front of them is disabled.

    If you're able to shed a little light on how to be a disabled working person, I would be in your debt. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Holly , I will try and cover that in my next post. of course we are in different fields of work but I'm sure I can cover a basic overview that can help you. Thank you for asking :) take care . Jayne xx

      Delete